Nairobi — The review of the Teacher Training Manual for the new curriculum is currently underway in preparation of the training of teachers and other new curriculum support officers which is scheduled for April.
Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang told the National Assembly Education Committee that the exercise which began on Monday is expected to end on March 1.
"As we move now to Grade 4, we shall be dealing with more than one teacher and therefore we are preparing ourselves adequately early so that we can be able to prepare and train our teachers and all our officers both in the Teachers Service Commission and officers from the ministry to be able to understand better the Competency Based Curriculum," Kipsang said.
He further said that the curriculum designs are due to be published by February 28 to facilitate development course books and teachers guides for Grade 4.
"By the end of this month we shall be able to finish the printing of the Grade 4 designs so that we can prepare all the necessary materials and also prepare ourselves as we roll out Grade 4 in 2020," said Kipsang.
He added that the ministry has so far distributed 12.5 million books on English, Kiswahili and Mathematics activities and 14.5 million books on other learning areas to various schools across the country.
The Competency Based Curriculum for early years education was rolled out in pre-primary 1 and 2, and grades 1,2 and 3 across the country on January 3, 2019.
Prior to implementation, the curriculum designs for early years education had been distributed to the schools.
Some 186,000 teachers who are now teaching the early years pupils were trained in four sessions; December 2017, April 2018, August 2018 and December 2018.
On the issue of 100 per cent Form One transition, Kipsang said the ministry has already realised a 93.14 per cent Form One transition rate since the launch of the Last Mile Campaign.
He pointed out that the ministry will be disbursing Sh1.5 billion by the end of February to address the issue of infrastructure in schools.
The campaign which was launched in February aims to ensure that all the candidates who sat their Kenya Certificate of Primary Education last year have joined Form One.
The Committee members led by MP Julius Melly (Tinderet) raised concern on the accommodation capacity of schools saying some schools are already congested and they cannot accommodate more students.
Read the original article on Capital FM.
KNUT Wants Competency Based Curriculum Suspended, Says Teachers Ill Prepared
AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.
Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.
AllAfrica is a voice of, by and about Africa - aggregating, producing and distributing 600 news and information items daily from over 150 African news organizations and our own reporters to an African and global public. We operate from Cape Town, Dakar, Abuja, Monrovia, Nairobi and Washington DC.