15 March 2019

South Africa: Eight Names Recommended for SABC Board

Parliament's Portfolio Committee on Communications has adopted a final report that recommends eight candidates to fill the SABC board.

"The Portfolio Committee on Communications, having deliberated on the suitability of candidates who will fill the eight vacancies at the SABC board, has adopted a final report with eight recommended names," it said on Thursday.

The names that have been recommended are that of:

Mary Papayya

Jasmina Patel

Dr Marcia Socikwa

Mamodupi Mohlala-Molaudzi

Bernedette Muthien

Advocate Benjamin Motshedi Lekalakala

Profesor Sathasivan Cooper

David Maimela

"The report will be tabled in the National Assembly for debate and final adoption. It will then be forwarded to the President for appointment in terms of section 13 of the Broadcasting Act," said the committee.

The report follows on the three-day interview process that was held last week.

A total 24 candidates were interviewed for the eight vacancies at the broadcaster (which falls under the Department of Communications that is currently under dire financial straits).

The interviews come after the resignation of four directors, which left its board without the quorum required to make decisions.

The eight vacancies were advertised in December in which the committee received 323 nominations.

Developments at the Department of Communications

Meanwhile, the committee was also briefed by Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams on the state of the Department of Communications and its entities, in which she highlighted the challenge of capacity constraints.

The Minister spoke of nine funded vacant positions, including, among others, Director-General, Chief Director for Entity Oversight and Director for Cabinet Support.

However, the Minister has put a moratorium on filling all vacant positions in the department and entities.

"We thank the department for putting together a comprehensive presentation at short notice and putting together a team that is focusing on the merger between the Department of Communications and the Department of Telecommunications and Postal Services," said committee chairperson Professor Hlengiwe Mkhize.

South Africa

Former Sasol Coal Miners Claim More Than R80 Million for Coal-Related Illnesses

Twenty-two former underground miners are claiming more than R80 million in damages from Sasol Coal after they contracted… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2019 SAnews.gov.za. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.