Many persons including children yesterday morning sustained burnt injuries after Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), popularly called petrol exploded at a restaurant in Lagos State.
The incident occurred at about 8:00a.m. at the place called University of Amala along Ejigbo Road in Idimu area of the state. It was gathered that the owner of the restaurant, six of her employees and many customers sustained varying degrees of injuries.
The explosion, it was gathered, occurred after a commercial bus trampled on a PMS-laden keg kept off the road by a customer who entered the restaurant.
Immediately after the impact, the fire from the explosion affected the gas cylinder at the restaurant, which made the fire spread into the restaurant, burning people inside.
According to an eyewitness, Taiwo Olayinka, no one died in the inferno as all those injured were rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment. He said: "The place is at OPC junction before Idimu last bus stop. From what I gathered, a customer that wanted to patronise the restaurant came with a keg filled with petrol.
"He dropped it by the roadside because of the fire from the cooking gas so he would take it when leaving, but a bus that was turning in front of the shop climbed on it unknowingly and everything went up in flames. Many people were injured and are receiving treatment at a nearby hospital.
"The fire entered the kitchen and also affected the generating set used to power the restaurant. It was the generating set that escalated the fire. The bus was reversing and did not see the keg," he narrated.
When contacted, both the police and the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) said they were unaware of the incident.