Kenya: Three Injured in 20th Century Building Fire

Nairobi — Three people sustained injuries this afternoon when a fire broke out at Twentieth Century Building on Mama Ngina Street.

Witnesses told Capital FM News Beat that the fire might have started at a laundry and dry-cleaning company that is located on the ground floor of the building.

"There are two people who were pulled out with injuries, an operator who had glass cuts and a pregnant lady who is due anytime now. The third person was rescued from the first floor where it is suspected he had inhaled some smoke," a security guard told our reporter.

Firefighters from the City-County of Nairobi rushed to the scene and managed to contain the fire which started shortly after 1 pm.

Businesses along the street rushed to close the premises following panic in the Central Business District

"We heard something like a loud burst. When I came to the door to check, I saw people running towards the exit, but we did not know what it was. We were suspecting that it could be a gas cylinder or the engine in the generator room. It is at that point we saw a heavy smoke billowing, and we started raising an alarm to which the fire brigade responded and put out the fire," another witness said.

See What Everyone is Watching

More From: Capital FM

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.