Nairobi — Three people sustained injuries this afternoon when a fire broke out at Twentieth Century Building on Mama Ngina Street.
Witnesses told Capital FM News Beat that the fire might have started at a laundry and dry-cleaning company that is located on the ground floor of the building.
"There are two people who were pulled out with injuries, an operator who had glass cuts and a pregnant lady who is due anytime now. The third person was rescued from the first floor where it is suspected he had inhaled some smoke," a security guard told our reporter.
Firefighters from the City-County of Nairobi rushed to the scene and managed to contain the fire which started shortly after 1 pm.
Businesses along the street rushed to close the premises following panic in the Central Business District
"We heard something like a loud burst. When I came to the door to check, I saw people running towards the exit, but we did not know what it was. We were suspecting that it could be a gas cylinder or the engine in the generator room. It is at that point we saw a heavy smoke billowing, and we started raising an alarm to which the fire brigade responded and put out the fire," another witness said.