The government will block SIM cards of people without Huduma Namba after the registration drive, Communications Authority of Kenya Director-General Francis Wangusi said Thursday.
The mass registration for the National Integrated Identity Management System (Niims), dubbed Huduma Namba, is expected to end on May 18th.
"We will ask service providers to shut down SIM cards of those who will not have acquired Huduma Namba," Mr Wangusi said.
He added: "Those without SIM cards will not be able to purchase new ones without Huduma Namba."
The digital listing programme was launched earlier this month by President Uhuru Kenyatta but the government was barred by the High Court from forcing Kenyans to register.
The High Court also barred the government from using the data to withhold any services or bar anyone from accessing public facilities.
In addition, the government cannot also share the collected information with international bodies.