Sudan: Saudi Arabia and UAE Provide U.S.$3 Billion to Sudan

Khartoum — Demonstrators have denounced Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) move to provide three billion Dollars to strengthen the financial position of Sudan.

The two countries will provide a joint package of assistance o the Republic of Sudan amounting to a total of three billion US Dollars, including $ 500 million provided by the two countries as a deposit in the Central Bank of the Sudan to strengthen and ease the pressure on the Sudanese Pound and to achieve greater stability in the exchange rate.

The rest of the amount is designated to meeting the urgent needs of the Sudanese people, including food, medication, and petroleum derivatives.

According to the UAE press release, this support comes in the wake of popular uprisings which saw the overthrow of Omar Al Bashir's presidency on April 11.

Demonstrators at an ongoing sit-in outside Sudan's military headquarters have called on Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to "keep their money." Chants of "we don't want Saudi support" could be heard last night.

According to Al Jazeera, many demonstrators at the sit-in said they suspected the two countries of trying to influence the ruling military transitional council with the aid.

Sudan's head of the transitional military council, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, was the head of the country's ground troops when the government sent soldiers to Yemen as part of a Saudi-led coalition against the Houthi rebels.

'Egypt to mediate'

Burhan announced yesterday that an initiative is being led by Egypt to prevent putting Sudan in the list of the African Union's ban list.

In the extensive TV interview, the TMC Chairman thanked the African Union for its cooperation with the Transitional Military Council, disclosing the presence of the Chairman of the African Union's Commission, Moussa Fekki, in Khartoum to get assured on normalcy of the situation and that "what has happened was a response to the people's desire and not a coup".

As previously reported by Radio Dabanga, the African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council has called on the Sudanese army to hand over power to a civilian government within two weeks: if it fails to do so, it will block the country's membership to the AU.

Delegation to US

Burhan also announced that a delegation will leave in the current or next week for Washington, at the request of the US administration, to deliberate about removing the name of Sudan from the list of states sponsoring terrorism, and said he has expected a breakthrough in this regard.

See What Everyone is Watching

More From: Radio Dabanga

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.