Nigeria: Death Toll Rises to Five in Anambra Building Collapse

The death toll in the building collapse which occurred in the commercial city of Onitsha, Anambra State, has risen to five. The police had earlier on Wednesday confirmed the death of two persons when the three-storey building collapsed.

But on Thursday, the police spokesperson in the state, Haruna Mohammed, said three more persons have died.

"Update on collapsed three-storey building in Onitsha. Five Persons confirmed dead and two victims survived," he said.

"On May 22 at about 3 p.m, a building under construction located at No 9 Ezenwa Street, Onitsha belonging to one Barr. Ikebu Aso collapsed.

"Police patrol teams and other sister agencies rushed to the scene and cordoned off the area to checkmate miscreants and criminal elements from taking advantage of the situation to loot," he said.

He said the two survivors were receiving treatment at the General hospital Onitsha where they were taken to by the Red Cross

He said the corpses of the dead had been deposited at the mortuary for autopsy, while rescue operations were ongoing.

Mr Mohammed said the police were investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

See What Everyone is Watching

More From: Premium Times

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.