Residents of Padiga Village, Pamujo Parish in Metu Sub-county, Moyo District, whose animals were looted by suspected South Sudanese gunmen, are yet to be compensated a year later.
On March 11, 2018, armed men raided the village and made off with 1,395 head of cattle that have not been recovered to date.
On August 11, President Museveni, while addressing a rally at Celecelea Stadium in the district, said the government would compensate the affected residents as he pursued diplomatic means with South Sudan to stop the raids.
However, no compensations have been made, which has left the affected residents disappointed.
At the weekend, the affected residents petitioned the resident district commissioner over the matter.
Mr Joseph Madrara, one of the victims said: "We (cattle owners) are still in pain, having lost our cattle where we derive our livelihood. This is our source of income. Let government compensate us."
Madrara added: "We have seen President Museveni on his national tours dish out millions of shillings to youth, women and other individuals or groups. Why then isn't he responding to our issues as a matter of national importance?"
Mr Simon Izakare, the group chairperson, said the affected residents depend on the cattle to pay school fees and meet other daily needs.
Mr Gofin Gore, the deputy resident district commissioner, who received the petition, said the matter would be addressed.
"This matter has been put to the President whenever he is in Moyo. We mourn with you for the loss of your cattle but we will have this addressed. In our meetings with the President, the issue of compensation of the victims of raided herds of cattle remains high on agenda," he said. Mr Sam Asusi, the Metu Sub-county councillor, expressed disappointment over the delayed compensation.
"This delay to compensate the people could be a deliberate strategy because there is no will. Recently, when the President visited the district, the matter was brought to his attention for the second time. How do they expect these people to survive?"
Attacks by South Sudanese cattle rustlers are not new in Moyo. In 2017, armed rustlers raided the area and took off with about 600 head of cattle. Last year, cattle rustlers raided about 300 head of cattle in Gbari Village, Metu Sub-county, leaving one person dead.