Mahetlwe — Kweneng District Council is working round the clock to disburse compensation to 132 families affected by the construction of Lentsweletau, Mahetlwe, Hatsalatladi tarred road.
Council chairperson Mr Jeffery Sibisibi informed residents during kgotla meetings held at Hatsalatladi and Mahetlwe on Wednesday that around P3.2 million had been allocated to Kweneng district council to compensate the affected families.
He highlighted that funding increased from the initial P2.1 million to P3.2 million following the 2008 assessment, leading to an increase of almost P1.1 million as interest accrued over 11 years.
He said the process was likely to take place in the next two weeks as they had to liaise with department of roads under Ministry of Roads Transport and Communication who were responsible for the project and compensation.
Mr Sibisibi pleaded with the affected families to bear with the fact that there was a delay of over 11 years following completion of the 2008 assessment, but indicated the process was hindered by unforeseen circumstances such as the 2008 global economic crunch.
He pleaded with residents to embrace the impending road project, saying though it would impact negatively on some homes, it would help lure investors to boost the economy and create employment opportunities for communities in the same areas.
On Issues raised by Hatsalatladi tribal leader, Kgosi Saki Gabanamotse, that the tribal office was operating without furniture, he expressed disappointment over such issues which appear to be prevalent in most tribal offices but with no remedial action by the responsible department.
"It is important for tribal department officials to set priorities right and work towards improved and conducive working environment that in most cases impact on the delivery of services," advised Mr Sibisibi.
Kgosi Gabanamotse had pleaded with the council not to auction furniture, but consider issuing such furniture to needy departments like tribal offices.
KDC's deputy council secretary technical services Mr Eric Phuskas told residents of Mahetlwe that, those whose plots had changed status due to extra development would be re-assessed by a taskforce already constituted for the undertaking.
"We are aware of the serious delay of over 11 years following the initial assessment that could have prompted people to carry out more development but each case will be treated on its merit", he said.
Mr Puso Motlotlegi of Mahetlwe said there was need for financial counselling for the affected individuals before monies could be disbursed as a way to guide them on how to handle and use the finances.
However residents among them Kgosi Odirile Motsatsi expressed gratitude over the anticipated road project which they said had potential to improve the socio-economic status of people in the affected areas who relied more on unsustainable Ipelegeng wages.
<i>Source : BOPA</i>