Uganda: Police Probe UK Firm Over Shs3.6 Billion Deal

18 September 2019

Police are investigating a wrangle in which a city tycoon has accused FWB Architectures, a UK-based international consultancy of breach of contract in a Shs3.6b deal.

Police sources say Mr Sudhir Ruparelia, through his Meera Investments Limited, entered into a buildings renovation contract with FWB Architectures in 2012 but when they disagreed, he reported the matter to police and demanded that the architect be investigated on alleged breach of contact.

He also informed police that he had failed to trace the architect to complete the works, seven years later.

The case was reported at Kampala Metropolitan South Division under GEF: 131/2019.

Kampala Metropolitan Police deputy spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire yesterday said a case was reported by Mr Ruparelia and detectives have been handling it.

"It is true the matter was reported to our Kampala Metropolitan South Division and steps have been taken to have that matter resolved. Our detectives have recorded statements from the complainant and the accused," Mr Owoyesigyire said without giving further details since investigations are still ongoing.

According to the police, Mr Ruparelia accuses the architect of taking $650,000 (about Shs2.3 billion) which he was paid upfront to commence work on the two projects.

This includes $275000 (about Shs1b) upfront payment out of the $425,000 (Shs1.54 billion) for works on Kabira Country Club, and $375,000 (Shs1.3 billion) of the agreed sum of $545,000 (Shs2 billion) for Speke Apartment.

Although the architect has not responded to calls and text messages since last week, this newspaper understands that the disputed contract involved a total sum of $1m (about Shs3.6 billion).

The contract was entered on February 6, 2012 in respect to construction works of Kabira Country Club in Bukoto, a Kampala suburb and Speke Apartments, Wambewo Avenue in Kampala.

Mr Nelson Walusimbi of Walusimbi & Co Advocates, who represents Meera Investments Limited, yesterday said they are aware of the case but could not avail more information on what his firm is doing in regard to the breach of contract.

Daily Monitor understands from police sources that Mr Ruparelia had given instructions that the matter be kept secret after it emerged that he was on the verge of losing the money to a UK-based architect.

Mr Ruparelia yesterday reacted with fury and declined to comment on the matter before he asked this newspaper to stop wasting his time.

Mr Walusimbi said: "I am not yet authorised to speak about this matter at this level. However, we are aware of the case as it is being investigated by the police."

Our efforts to get a comment from Mr Paul Moores were futile as he could neither pick nor return calls on his known telephone contact.

See What Everyone is Watching

More From: Monitor

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 700 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.