Mombasa — The Kenya Navy has deployed robots in a bid to establish the exact location of the vehicle that plunged into the Indian Ocean on Sunday evening with two occupants on board.
A mother and her daughter are still stuck in the wreckage more than 60 hours since the accident happened.
Government Spokesperson Cyrus Oguna on Wednesday said the search operation had been narrowed down to an area that is 70 feet deep at the Likoni crossing channel even as Kenya Ferry Services (KFS) announced it had suspended operations yet again for an hour to facilitate recovery efforts.
The Kilindini Habour was also temporarily shut on Tuesday as a multi-agency team assessed the situation.
KFS Managing Director Bakari Gowa had told the media two spots with a depth of 75 feet and 100 feet respectively had been identified as the probable areas where the wreckage of the station wagon that slid off the ferry could be.
KFS Chairperson Dan Mwazo called for patience as they undertake the complex exercise.
"The whole government is involved in this operation, and I can assure you that the car and bodies will be retrieved because the exact spot has been identified," he said, "It is a challenge but we are determined to get them out."