Moleolole — A Mankgodi man, suspected to have killed a 42-year-old Tutume man on Saturday night at Jacaranda Bar in Mmankgodi, was Tuesday arraigned before Molepolole Principal Magistrate Kefilwe Resheng on a single count of murder.
The accused, Frank Opang, allegedly murdered Mr Kosamo Dumani by stabbing him with a sharp instrument.
The victim, according to the station commander, then disappeared into the dark after the incident.
He was later handed over to Mogoditshane police by some members of the family.
The accused would appear again for mention on October 31.
Meanwhile, Dimpho Ntswe of Kumakwane, who is accused of raping a Kumakwane woman sometime in 2013, told the court that he did not want the matter to be tried because of delays caused by prosecution.
Ntswe's contention was that he no longer had a witness because the only one he had, had since died.
He denied any link to the alleged incident, stating that he was with a friend in Gaborone on the fateful day.
"I am not in any way prepared to stand trial on this matter as it will be unfair on my side since the only witness I had, had since died and therefore it will be unjust to force trial after so long," contended the accused.
Meanwhile, the prosecutor Sergeant Modise Mosala told the court that the delay in prosecuting the accused was over prolonged investigations that resulted with the accused being linked to the alleged offence on account of the DNA results.
However, Magistrate Resheng told the accused that "It is not for you to decide on whether you want to stand trial or not.
Your attitude will not deter the court from proceeding with the case even if you chose to become stubborn".
She, therefore, ordered the prosecution to file an affidavit in the next mention on why a 2013 matter had been delayed for so long.
Meanwhile January 15 and 16, 2020 were set as trial dates for Ntswe's rape case.
Source : BOPA