Nairobi — All parties in the corruption case of Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, county officials and suppliers have been barred from commenting on social media.
The order was issued on Wednesday by anti-corruption court magistrate Douglas Ogoti when he granted Sonko Sh15 million cash bail to secure freedom or deposit a Sh30 million bond and a surety of a similar amount.
"All parties including the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC), the accused are hereby prohibited from commenting on this case on social media in whatever manner," Ogoti added, in his ruling in the Sh357 million corruption case.
The court also barred the governor and other co-accused persons from traveling outside its jurisdiction, with Ogoti issuing explicit orders to the Director of Immigration Department to ensure Sonko does not travel outside the country.
Sonko was charged on Monday with fraudulent acquisition of public funds through the irregular award of tenders totaling Sh357 million.
The magistrate barred Sonko from accessinghis office until the case is heard and determined, and only directed that the Governor should be escorted to his City Hall office under the supervision of the Investigating Officer if he wished to pick any of his belongings.
Sonko had denied charges leveled against him by the EACC when he appeared before Ogoti at the Milimani Law Courts on Monday.
The Public Prosecutor accused Sonko of irregularly awarding tenders totaling Sh357.4 million out of which he and eight other City Hall officials accrued benefits.
Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji said the accused persons, "facilitated and/or benefitted from the irregular procurement and payments amounting to Sh357, 390,299 million."
Police have indicated they intend to charge Sonko with assaulting a police officer when he was arrested in Voi on Friday last week.
EACC said he was fleeing to escape arrest.