Zimbabwe: Boy Electrocuted After Stepping On Zesa Power Cables

Chipinge — A 15 year-old boy was electrocuted to death last week after he stepped on faulty Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority (ZESA) cables while walking from school.

Police confirmed the incident.

Manicaland police deputy spokesperson, Assistant Inspector Luxson Chananda said the now deceased, Rodrick William, was in company of three friends when the incident took place.

Chananda said William was walking with three friends along a foot path towards Gaza high density suburb in Chipinge when he stepped on the cables.

"They were coming from Chipinge High School and crossed a river before the deceased stayed behind filling his bottle with drinking water," the police spokesperson said.

William's three friends continued to walk and passed by some ZESA power cables before the power lines suddenly developed a fault and started to spark.

One of the cables dropped on the ground and when the deceased heard the loud sparks he ran toward his friends.

The deceased then stepped on live power cables and was electrocuted. He sustained extensive burns all over the body and died on the spot.

Police in Chipinge and ZESA officials attended scene and the body was ferried to Chipinge district hospital for a post-mortem. However, the police failed to release the results of the post-mortem.

More From: New Zimbabwe

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.