South Africa: Gauteng Govt Hands Out Sanitiser at Densely Populated Women's Hostel in Alex

The Gauteng government handed out sanitiser at a densely populated women's hostel in Alexandra on Wednesday in a bid to minimise the spread of Covid-19.

"I am sure you would have seen that the virus is escalating and we have got serious problems in our province. The numbers are increasing and we have vowed to intensify our efforts as the Gauteng provincial government," Human Settlements, Urban Planning and Cogta MEC Lebogang Maile told the media outside the hostel on Wednesday.

Maile said hostel, and many others in the ares, were not in good condition.

"Our people are living in squalor and we want to attend to this," he added.

As a result, each home would receive 500ml of sanitiser.

In addition, a team of decontaminators had been deployed to focus on the area around the hostel.

"Going forward, we are going to go through Alexandra, especially where people are congested, and we are going to provide them with sanitisers throughout the 21 days to make sure that people are protected and educated on how to look after themselves," Economic Development, Environment and Agriculture MEC Morakane Mosupyoe told the media on Wednesday.

News24 earlier reported that an Alexandra resident had tested positive for the deadly virus that originated from Wuhan, China.

The positive patient contracted it from their employer. He also disregarded an instruction and travelled to Limpopo prior to the 21-day lockdown.

He has since been placed under quarantine at a health facility in Limpopo.

The Gauteng Department of Health identified nine people who were currently under quarantine after being in close contact with the confirmed case.

On Tuesday, Health MEC Bandile Masuku led a mass testing operation in the township. The outcome of this operation is not yet known.

As of Tuesday, the country had 1 353 confirmed cases of Covid-19. This was an increase of 46 from the previously reported cases.

Gauteng still remains the province with the highest number of confirmed cases, at 633.

The 21-day lockdown is expected to continue until 16 April.

Source: News24

See What Everyone is Watching

More From: News24Wire

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.