The Secretary to the Government of the Federation and Chairman of the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, says his team does not know whether or not the lockdown in Abuja, Lagos and Ogun States will be extended.
President Muhamnadu Buhari had on March 29 directed total lockdown of the three places for 14 days to checkmate the spread of COVID-19.
Speaking yesterday at the Lagos House, Marina after he led members of the task force, accompanied by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on a tour of facilities put in place by the Lagos State government to curb the spread of the disease, the SGF said: "It is only Buhari who can say that the lockdown will be extended or not."
Mustapha noted that Buhari had said "during his address that Lagos, Ogun and FCT would be shutdown for 14 days in the first instance."
He said Buhari would look at all the indices, developments and prevailing situations, and if the purpose for the lockdown had been achieved and after revaluation, would take a decision that would be in the best interest of Nigerians.
Mustapha said the Federal Government was on course to contain COVID-19 pandemic very soon.
He commended the efforts of the Lagos State Government towards curtailing the pandemic in the state.
He assured Nigerians of Buhari's commitment to winning the war against COVID-19 and mobilising resources to achieve national objectives.
According to him, the strategy adopted by the PTF, working in conjunction with the states, include testing, detection, isolation, contact tracing and management.
Meanwhile, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu announced the discharge of another female patient from the isolation centre in Yaba, after testing negative to the Coronavirus Disease.
He said: "It is with immense joy, I announce the discharge of another patient (a female), who has fully recovered from our facility at Yaba. This brings to 32, the number of patients we have successfully managed and discharged in Lagos."