Today we commemorate the signing of the Charter of the United Nations, on 26 June 1945, in San Francisco. It is the text that formalized the fundamental concept of the United Nations, “We, the peoples’.
It set out the determination of those peoples to avoid future wars, and reaffirmed the unifying principles so important to us of fundamental human rights, the dignity and worth of the human person, and the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small. Through it we undertake ‘to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours’.
The words of the Charter resonate now more strongly than ever before. They reiterate our shared work across all parts of the UN ‘to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom’. Today we in UN Women recall and recommit to those aspirations, as we build back better from the consequences of conflict and coronavirus, and engage in concerted efforts for equality and racial justice in all segments of society and in all sectors.
Top Headlines: Africa
- Africa: Continent Nears 4.7 Million Confirmed Cases of Covid-19
- Africa: As Cities Grow Across Africa, They Must Plan for Water Security
- Africa: Slavery - What the United States Can Learn From Africa About Reparations
- Africa: Africa-France Summit Postponed Due to Covid-19 Travel Restrictions
- Africa: Nearly 15.5 Million Covid-19 Vaccinations Administered Across Continent
- Africa: Continent's Medical Supplies Platform - a Model for the World?
- Africa: Rights Group Launches Tool to Stem Cybercrime in Africa
- Africa: Millions of Muslims Mark Eid Holiday Amid Uncertain Times
- Africa: Solar Minibuses for Africa? Data Seen As Key to Green Transport Switch
- Africa: 'An Uneasy Embrace' - Youth and Africa-India Entanglements
- Africa: CAF Executive Committee Meeting At Kigali
- Africa: Poor Nutrition Changes the Way a Body Fights Infection
- Africa: Media Application to Attend CAF Executive Committee Press Conference
- Africa: Director-General's Remarks At 2nd Health for All Film Festival - 13 May 2021
- Africa: Director-General's Remarks At WHO Global Research and Innovation Forum - 13 May 2021
- Africa: Director-General's Opening Remarks At Member State Information Session On Covid-19 - 13 May 2021