Office of the Provincial Commissioner Limpopo
The SAPS Mopani District Commissioner Major General Maggie Mathebula has yesterday, on 09th July 2020 interacted with members of the community during a live radio interview with the Vision FM from their studio at 19:00, focussing on Gender Based Violence (GBV) and domestic violence. The General addressed these two problematic crime categories that are prevalent in some parts of the province.
She advised the community to report any form of GBV or domestic violence that is taking place in their precincts, immediately. She further elaborated that the Domestic Violence Act provides the victim with the following protections:
* The Police stations has the Victim Empowerment support centres to be utilized by all victims of crime
* Rights to lay a criminal case against the perpetrator
* Rights to apply for a protection order
* Rights to be protected by the law enforcement
* No case of domestic violence should be resolved at home
Also men were encouraged to report any domestic violence or seek professional help from Social workers and Pastors.