More than 20 families in a city slum spent Tuesday night in the cold after an inferno razed down their houses.
The incident took place at Mukuru Kaiyaba slum in Land Mawe ward in Starehe.
Josephine Amoit, a witness, said the fire started from one of the houses whose owner was at work before spreading fast to other rooms.
One of the affected resident said he was informed while at work that his house was on fire.
"I was told that my house is on fire while I was at work at the South B shopping centre. All my belongings were reduced to ashes," Michael Musau, 22, said.
Another victim, Mercy Nzioka, said although she managed to remove some of her household items outside her house, looters carried the items away.
Following the incident, Nyumba Kumi chairman Peter Kyalo urged residents to be careful while handling electrical devices at homes.
Mr Kyalo said officials in the area are planning to distribute food and clothes to the affected families.