Gaborone — Two Botswana Football Association (BFA) presidential candidates, Tebogo Sebego and Ookeditse Malesu have written a letter to the presidential COVID-19 task force coordinator, Dr Kereng Masupu requesting for a waiver to hold elections.
As per the BFA constitution, the ordinary general assembly was supposed to be held on August 8, but was moved to August 22 and ultimately postponed indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The two candidates said in the letter that the prolonged uncertainty over the football operations had resulted in FIFA not releasing all subventions due to the BFA, owing to the ushering of the new administrators in the national executive committee.
According to the letter, this includes administrative funds for the day-to-day operations of the associations under the FIFA forward funding. "Last week, FIFA released US$500 instead of US$1 500 towards the welfare under the COVID-19 relief fund," said the letter.
Both Malesu and Sebego are of the view that clubs were continuously defaulting in the upkeep of their players, which could lead to undesirable activities affecting the society including relationships.
The letter further states that CAF has announced the qualifying schedule for the next AFCON to be held in 2021 and Botswana is scheduled to play Zambia in the first week of October 2020.
It says players therefore need to prepare and failure to compete will result in a fine of US$50 000 and two AFCON qualification suspensions.
"If suspended for whatever reason, Botswana's next competition in AFCON qualifiers will be in 2027. The government of Botswana habours ambitions of hosting AFCON 2027 and this will not be feasible if preparations are not given the appropriate attention," reads the letter.
The letter states that in order to hold the assembly, BFA requires less than 35 delegates to come outside the greater Gaborone zone, who by their own right have been making travel visits into and out of the greater Gaborone zone.
They therefore put a proposal that delegates coming into Gaborone will use their own transport, and they shall be accommodated in non-sharing and identifiable rooms for possible tracing in case of COVID-19 tracing requirements.
Furthermore, the letter states that the AGM will last for a maximum of four-hours with a break of 30 minutes in between.
And the options for holding the AGM will be the use of one big hall with a sitting arrangement of two metres apart or split the number into two holding halls of 50 people, using interface technology to provide link from the event hall to the other hall.
It says at the time of voting and in order to maintain and comply with COVID-19 protocols, all non-voting attendees shall be released from the hall, leaving those voting to continue with the business of the day.
Football analyst, Kagiso Rantswaneng said the letter to the task team was a welcome development given that it demonstrated consideration and appreciation to both advancement of local footballing activities and the commitment to uphold the country's laid down COVID-19 protocols.
He however said it would had been ideal to have had an appreciation of the proposal by the sitting BFA NEC.
Source : BOPA