The anti-corruption court Tuesday rejected a plea by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) to be given six months to supply evidence to Governor Mike Sonko in the Sh357million graft case against him and 15 others.
Instead the trial magistrate Eunice Kagure Nyutu ordered EACC to supply Mr Sonko within three weeks. She directed by October 27 all the evidence be availed to over 10 defence lawyers led by Mr Cecil Miller for Mr Sonko.
The case against the governor was commenced against last year.
Defence lawyers Cecil Miller, George Kithi , Wachira Kibanya, Migos Ogamba, Jack Bigambo, Paula Atikuda and Prof Tom Ojienda told the court they have been supplied with documents which are ineligible.
"The documents we have been supplied with are ineligible, which cannot be relied upon in a fair trial," Mr Miller told the court.
In answer, prosecuting counsel James Kihara sought six months to avail proper evidence. The defence, however vehemently objected saying the case should be disposed of expeditiously.
There was a bitter exchange between the prosecution and the defence over the documents compelling the magistrate to intervene.
Ms Nyutu ordered the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to scan the original copies of the exhibits and avail them to all the accused's lawyers within three weeks.