Zimbabwe: Residents Resolve to Protect Water Infrastructure


Residents of Mabvuku have vowed to protect water infrastructure in the suburb against any forms of vandalism. These sentiments were expressed at the community meeting organized by the Combined Harare Residents Association (CHRA) with the Water Point User Committees (WPUC) in the area. Apart from being hit by incessant water shortages, the suburb has also seen rising cases of vandalisation of water pipes, which has created problems in the local water distribution network.

"As community leaders we are going to work together with our local District Office, reporting cases of vandalism to council property specifically water pipes and which is increasing non-revenue water", said Mr Kagoro CHRA Ward 21 Coordinator.

Water bursts have emerged in Mabvuku as the local authority has resumed pumping water to the area after many years of a dry spell with some main water pipes being vandalized.

Previously Water Point User Committees have been focusing on managing public water points especially boreholes.

The latest development will see Water Point User Committees and council working together in reducing non-revenue water through reporting incidences of vandalism and protecting municipal water infrastructure.

CHRA welcomes the development as it promotes community stewardship in water resources management.

Source: Combined Harare Residents Association (CHRA)

More From: Kubatana.net

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.