The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has revived cases against the perpetrators of the 2007-8 post-election violence, with an assurance of justice for the victims.
DCI boss George Kinoti told a press conference on Monday that never again will Kenyans go through events similar to the clashes that left at least 1,300 people dead and more than 600,000 internally displaced.
Mr Kinoti spoke as victims recorded statements at the DCI, some alleging they had been threatened afresh. He said the complaints of fresh threats were received on September 15.
"We have heard the victims' cries and complaints of emerging threats, and are promising them that they shall not even be scratched on the same account again," he said.
"Your security is now in our hands," he told the victims, asking them to boldly point out those who committed various crimes.
Mr Kinoti said that following the recording of statements, detectives will gather evidence for court cases that will be pursued locally to their proper ends.
"Arrests were made after the chaos but not everyone faced justice ... Criminal cases take time. Some even take 15 years to be prosecuted," he noted.
He reported that at least 118 complaints were registered Monday, including 72 of murder, 44 of displacement and others touching on rape and gender-based violence.
More to follow