Nata — Form four learners at Nata Senior Secondary School were left in shock as lightning struck their hostel.
In an interview with regional chief education officer for Tutume sub-district Ms Khumoyame Mosetlha said the incident happened last Wednesday night following rain storm in Nata. She said four rooms in a block of the hostel, which accommodated 242 boys, were affected with their rafters having caught fire.
She added that the four rooms housed a total of 24 boys with each accommodating six.
Fortunately, she said no one was injured and although most of the pupils were unruffled, the affected ones were treated for shock and taken for counselling. She further said fire department was called to the school to make assessment of the burnt areas and it was cleared.
Furthermore, Ms Mosetlha explained that the affected block was the one that was refurbished this year to accommodate learners from the two hostels that were burnt down by fire following electrical fault.
She said they were still awaiting funding from the ministry to do maintenance of the burnt hostels.
<i>Source : BOPA</i>