Liberia: Supreme Places Stay Order On Senator-Elect Samukai's Certification

Monrovia — Justice-in-Chamber Joseph Nagbe has placed a stay order on the certification of Lofa County Senator -Elect Brownie Samukia, who was convicted of misappropriating money belonging t to soldiers of the Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL) .

The stay order was issued on Friday, March 5, following a Petition filed by the Movement for Progressive Change (MPC) to the Supreme Court seeking to overturn the decision of the National Elections Commission (NEC) to certificate him after being found guilty of steal the AFL money.

The NEC announced the suspension of the certification of Samukia following the reading of a communication by the Clerk of the High Court reminding NEC to implement the Court's earlier ruling.

Lofa county Senator Elect was to be certificated by be NEC but Samukia was not, due to the High Court ruling, instructing NEC to suspend his certification.

It can be that a month ago Samukai along with two others were ordered by the Supreme Court to restitute the amount of US$1.4 million within six months, failure on their part they will be incarcerated to two years in prison.

The High Court stated that after paid said amount in six months, than they enter an agreement to paid the remaining in one year time.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday. March 9, 2021 Justice- in- Chamber Nagbe will have a conference in his Chamber with lawyers representing both partiesat 2:00 p.m. prompt.

More From: LINA

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 900 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.