Liberia: Calm Returns to Zwedru After Several Hours of Hostilities

Zwedru — Barely four hours after series of hostilities and violent acts across Zwedru, Grand Gedeh County capital, considerable calm has been restored due to intervention made by the Joint Security.

The Joint Security includes the Liberia National Police, Liberia Drugs Enforcement Agency, Liberia Immigration Services, the Armed Forces of Liberia, among others.

During a one hour tour by the Liberia News Agency (LINA) of the streets of Zwedru, businesses were closed, with all street venders shutting their stalls and major streets deserted while family members and shops and stores owners were sitting in their backyards, something which one could term unusual.

Intersections hitting Broad, Towah, Moses P. Harris, Samuel K. Doe Streets and the mostly populated Zwedru Triangle were manned by armed security personnel as measures to curb the hostilities.

Meanwhile, some damages and vandalism were carried out by other destructive individuals who used the situation to perpetrate their criminal acts.

Some shops, mosques and business centers were looted during the melee.

It can be recalled that a prison officer identified as AB went to a Fula man's shop on Desuah Street on the eve of the Ramadan to purchase and conflict broke out between him and the businessman leading to a fist fight.

AB was hit by the Fula man, fell to the ground and was rushed to the Martha Tubman Memorial Hospital in Zwedru.

Sadly, he was pronounced dead late night on Monday, May 17, 2021.

The death of AB aggravated the youths and they angrily decided to move to the shop.

On getting to the shop, the police after receiving the information went to protect the community to prevent destruction.

Suddenly, a vehicle belonging to the police accidentally ran into the crowd and smashed a young man who is believed to be the President of the Motorcycle Union in Zwedru.

He was rushed to the hospital for prompt medical attention.

With this additional incident caused by the police vehicle, the angry youth gathered and ran to the Headquarters of the Liberia National Police and set it on fire.

Several motorbikes and valued properties were also burned and the angry mob broke into the police cell where several detainees were kept and let them out.

The Armed Forces of Liberia is currently in the streets to curb the situation and put it under control.

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 110 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.