Tunis/Tunisia — President of the Republic Kais Saied, said at his meeting Thursday with members of the Tunisian community in Rome he is open to dialogue, but is not ready for one in «a context of pillaging the assets of the people.»
He stressed the imperative to recover the looted funds, in order to achieve economic recovery and focus on the real urgent problems of the Tunisian people.
Saied also called for the participation of "Tunisians and especially young people in this dialogue.»
Noureddine Taboubi, Secretary General of the Tunisian General Labor Union (UGTT) called at the end of the UGTT Steering Committee's meeting on Thursday on the President of the Republic to move ahead of the national dialogue initiative and assume his responsibilities.
He also said early elections would be necessary if the crisis persists.
These calls come after the first tense reactions of UGTT officials to earlier remarks by the Head of State criticising the 2013 national dialogue.
Deputy Secretary General of the Union Samir Cheffi had previously told TAP the steering committee of the UGTT, the main initiator of the call for a national dialogue, on Thursday, expressed its astonishment at the remarks by President of the Republic on the 2013 national dialogue.