City Power has found evidence of meter tampering and an illegal electricity connection at the property where a newlywed couple was electrocuted in Johannesburg at the weekend.
A City Power investigation into the fatal electrocution of a couple who had just returned from their honeymoon showed that the meter at their property was tampered with to bypass the calculation of consumption.
The earth wire was disconnected, which means the current did not trip when a fault was detected, said the utility in a press release on Thursday.
Zaheer Sarang and his new bride, Nabeela Khan-Sarang, returned to their cottage in Crosby, Johannesburg, on Saturday. They had been on their honeymoon. Soon after, Nabeela was electrocuted in the shower. Zaheer died as he tried to rescue her.
Their family, who live in a separate house on the property, has paid an admission of guilt fine of R10,000 to have their electricity reconnected.
"We have also fixed their meter and they promised to start buying their electricity," said City Power spokesperson Isaac Mangena. However, the family's electricity supply remains disconnected "until such time the legal requirements for safe connection have been established".
The family had previously reported...