Malawi Faces K148.2 Billion Hunger Response Gap As 4.2 Million Risk Starvation

Maize distribution exercise (file photo)
29 October 2025

Malawi's fight against hunger is facing a massive financial black hole, with the government's Lean Season Food Insecurity Response Programme staring at a K148.2 billion deficit--a gap so large it threatens to derail emergency food aid for more than 4.2 million Malawians already on the brink of starvation.

The Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DoDMA) has revealed that while the country needs K209.4 billion (about US$119 million) to roll out the national hunger plan, only K61.2 billion has so far been secured from the government and development partners. This leaves an overwhelming K148.2 billion still unfunded--barely days before the relief programme is due to start on November 1.

The Food Security Cluster, which alone requires K168.82 billion (US$96.4 million) to feed millions of affected households, has received just K46 billion (US$26.2 million)--less than one-third of what is needed. Officials fear that without urgent donor injections, food assistance could collapse halfway through the lean season.

Speaking in Lilongwe, Commissioner for Disaster Management Affairs Wilson Moleni said the situation is dire but insisted that the response will still target every affected person, even in districts not officially declared disaster zones.

Follow us on WhatsApp | LinkedIn for the latest headlines

"The total number of affected people is 4.2 million, and all of them will be assisted, whether they are in declared disaster districts or not," said Moleni.

The hunger response, to be launched in Machinga District, is designed to support each affected household with either K90,000 in cash transfers or a 50kg bag of maize every month during the lean season. But the funding crisis threatens to cripple this plan before it even begins.

Moleni said funding so far has come from the Government of Malawi, the World Bank, UK Government, USAID, Irish Aid, Germany, Norway, the Netherlands, Korea, China, and the World Food Programme (WFP)--but the resources fall far short of the enormous need.

The Malawi Vulnerability Assessment Committee (MVAC) recently warned that prolonged dry spells and erratic rainfall have devastated crop yields, leaving millions without enough food until the next harvest.

Agriculture policy expert Leonard Chimwaza described the situation as "a painful déjà vu" for a country that has spent decades battling cyclical hunger.

"It's heartbreaking that year after year, Malawi finds itself in the same position--begging for billions to feed its people. The K148 billion gap is not just a number; it's the difference between life and death for millions of poor Malawians," Chimwaza said.

With just days before the programme rollout, the K148.2 billion funding hole stands as a stark reminder of Malawi's fragile food security and dependence on external aid. Unless the gap is urgently filled, millions could face one of the hungriest lean seasons in recent memory--a looming national tragedy written in the language of numbers, but measured in human suffering.

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 90 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.