The government's proposal to make changes to the Cashewnut Industry Act has sparked a heated debate in parliament. Currently the law requires that 65% of the crop export levy be remitted to farmers through the Cashew Nut Board of Tanzania, while the government is left with the remaining 35%.With the changes, part of the export levy collected will not be remitted to farmers for developing crops as is the case now, but instead all the monies will be deposited in the treasury's consolidated fund.
This Is Why Cashew Nuts Have Gripped Tanzania Parliament
Citizen, 26 June 2018
The growing importance of cashew nuts in Tanzania's economy became evident in Parliament yesterday when legislators dropped all the other issues that were highlighted in the… Read more »
Talks On Cashew Nuts Saga Hot Up
Citizen, 25 June 2018
The government will consult Members of Parliament (MPs) from cashew nuts growing regions in a bid to resolve the export levy saga and its recently tabled amendments. Read more »
MP Warns Finance Minister From Visiting Mtwara, Lindi Over Cashew Nut Levy
The Member of Parliament for Tandahimba, Mr Ahmad Katani (CUF) has warned the Finance and Planning Minister, Dr Phillip Mpango over visiting Mtwara and Lindi regions if the… Read more »
Tanzania's Cashew Did Not Get 65% of Export Levy, MPs Ask Why
Citizen, 24 May 2018
Speaker of the National Assembly Mr Job Ndugai has asked the Ministry of Finance and Planning to assess itself on why it delays releasing the funds as allocated by the Parliament. Read more »
MPs, Farmers Say 'No' to Changes in Cashew Nuts Law
Citizen, 21 June 2018
MPs and representatives of cashew nut growers yesterday faulted the government's proposal to amend the Cashew nut Industry Act , 2009, as suggested in the Finance Bill, 2018. Read more »
Zitto Faults Proposed Amendments to Cashewnuts Act
Citizen, 20 June 2018
Kigoma Urban MP (Act-Wazalendo) Zitto Kabwe has faulted the government's proposals to amend the Cashewnuts Industry Act as suggested in the Finance Bill of 2018. Read more »
AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.
Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.
AllAfrica is a voice of, by and about Africa - aggregating, producing and distributing 600 news and information items daily from over 150 African news organizations and our own reporters to an African and global public. We operate from Cape Town, Dakar, Abuja, Monrovia, Nairobi and Washington DC.