Over U.S.$1 Million Needed to Fight Locust Outbreak in Namibia

Namibia's Agriculture Minister Calle Schlettwein has told the national assembly that the funds are needed for manpower, vehicles, equipment, personal protective equipment and other resources to effectively combat the red locust outbreak that was reported on August 12, 2020. Several areas including Muzi, Namiyundu, lvilivizi, Lusese and Ihaha have been impacted. Schlettwein says this is the second outbreak in the Zambezi region this year, following the first outbreak in February 2020. An area of about 4,000 square kilometres has been invaded and 500 hectares of grazing has so far been destroyed. The ministry has also dispatched over 4,000 litres of pesticide to help contain the outbreak.

(file photo).

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 900 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.