French Military Killed Civilians in Mali Air Strike - UN Report

A United Nations investigation has concluded that a French air attack in central Mali at the start of January 2021 killed at least 19 civilians, according to excerpts from the report. French authorities immediately dismissed the findings of the inquiry by the UN peacekeeping mission in Mali. Paris called into question the methodology used by the UN. The report comes after another French air strike in Mali in March that has also been at the centre of a dispute over those targeted. 

Local residents said the January 3 strike hit civilians attending a wedding ceremony in the village of Bounti, in the Mopti region. The French army said it had killed about 30 jihadist fighters who had been identified through aerial reconnaissance. Non-governmental organisation Human Rights Watch called for an impartial investigation.

French operations in Mali (file photo).

InFocus

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 100 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

X