Top representatives from some of the world’s most prestigious news outlets, including the BBC, The Associated Press and Al Jazeera, are headed to Abuja, Nigeria this June for the 2018 International Press Institute (IPI) World Congress.
The IPI World Congress is primed to be the biggest media event in Africa in 2018. It will bring together prominent editors and journalists from across the continent with leading international counterparts as well as key tech industry voices for a two-day networking and knowledge-building event focused on common challenges around press freedom and bringing news to the public.
Key speakers include:
- Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari
- African media heavyweights including Trevor Ncube (Zimbabwe), Tom Mshindi (The Nation, Kenya), Khadija Patel (Mail & Guardian, South Africa), Anas Anas (Ghana) and Gwen Lister (Namibia)
- International industry leaders David Jordan (BBC Director of Editorial Policy), John Daniszewski (AP Vice President) and, Mostefa Souag (Al Jazeera Acting Director General), among many others!
Other Congress highlights include:
- Keynote speech by Nigerian Nobel Prize-winning author Wole Soyinka
- Special workshops free for participants: A Facebook-led workshop on online safety tools for journalists and a workshop on covering elections in cooperation with UNESCO and other supporters
- IPI’s Africa Media Forum, featuring top-level discussions on key media challenges including political transitions, terrorism, censorship and labour conditions and a special panel on the future of African journalism with Google
Under the theme “Why Good Journalism Matters”, IPI’s World Congress will affirm the role of quality media in building strong societies, showcasing investigative stories and projects that bring positive change to individuals and communities in Africa and around the world.
Join us in Abuja to learn, share and network with the world’s best!
We want AllAfrica readers not to miss this opportunity. Participants can still register for the Congress at a reduced rate of €250 using the discount code IPI2018 at https://ipiwoco2018.sched.com/tickets
Cost includes Congress meals! For questions, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.