Nigeria: Abductors of Anambra Billionaire Businessman, Jezco, Demand N1.5bn Ransom

13 August 2026

The abductors of the Chairman of Jezco Group, Chief Sir Joseph Ezeokafor, have reportedly increased their ransom demand to N1.5 billion, according to a report by Arise TV.

Ezeokafor, a septuagenarian businessman, was reportedly abducted in the early hours of Tuesday while on his way to a prayer ground for his annual spiritual rejuvenation.

A source close to the family, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Arise TV that the kidnappers initially demanded N700 million for the businessman's release. The family was reportedly prepared to negotiate the payment in a bid to secure his freedom.

However, the abductors were said to have subsequently raised their demand to N1.5 billion.

Follow us on WhatsApp | LinkedIn for the latest headlines

The source further disclosed that communication between the kidnappers and the family had since broken down, despite the family's reported willingness to continue negotiations.

The development has reportedly left the businessman's relatives in a difficult situation as attempts to re-establish contact with the abductors have so far been unsuccessful.

Ezeokafor was said to have left his home at about 2am without his security details, reportedly making him vulnerable to the abductors.

The incident has generated concern among his associates and members of his community.

However, neither the Anambra State Police Command nor the state government has publicly commented on the reported abduction of the businessman, about a week after the incident.

The circumstances surrounding his whereabouts and the current efforts to secure his release remain unclear.

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 90 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.