The Obama administration has announced that it will withhold hundreds of millions of dollars worth of military and cash assistance to the Egyptian government until there is "credible progress toward an inclusive, democratically-elected civilian government through free and fair elections."
Elaborating on the announcement on Wednesday, unidentified senior American officials said that apart from freezing the delivery of new F-16 jet fighters, which had already been announced, the United States would hold back on sending Egypt Apache helicopters, Harpoon missiles and parts for M1A1 battle tanks. It would also withhold U.S. $260 million in cash.
State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki said the U.S. would review the decisions periodically and "will continue to work with the interim government to help it move toward our shared goals in an atmosphere free of violence and intimidation."
She added that aid for health, education and private sector development would continue, as would the training of Egyptian military officers and help to counter terrorism and ensure security in the Sinai.
Briefing journalists on the decision, one of the officials said a partnership between the United States and Egypt would be strongest "when Egypt is represented by an inclusive, democratically-elected civilian government based on the rule of law, fundamental freedoms, and an open and competitive economy ...
"We want to see Egypt succeed and we want to see Egypt have an inclusive democracy."