Signs of South African #Listeriosis Outbreak First Seen in 2016?
In December 2016, Sandra van Neel was admitted to Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital where she was told she had meningitis. She died four days later after a subsequent diagnosis revealed the cause of her illness to be listeriosis. Her story, as told to Bhekisisa, comes after the National Institute for Communicable Diseases said the disease, linked to polony products produced by Enterprise which Van Neel regularly bought, led to the deaths of 180 people.
Bhekisisa, 9 March 2018
Long before red flags were raised, this family fell victim to listeriosis. And this week, tragedy has struck again. Read more »
Tastebud Shack, Norlen House, corner of Buitenkant Street and Caledon Street, Cape Town, South Africa. A gatsby is a South African sandwich typically sold as a foot-long sandwich sliced into four or eight pieces (file photo).
News24Wire, 8 March 2018
Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi says his department will offer to help victims and their families of the listeriosis outbreak with potential litigation if they decide to take the… Read more »
News24Wire, 7 March 2018
The EFF has called on its members to ensure all products linked to the listeriosis outbreak are removed from retail store shelves across the country. The party is targeting Pick 'n… Read more »
New Era, 7 March 2018
Local retailers were this week scrambling to mitigate the effects of the listeria outbreak in South Africa that has been linked to the Enterprise brand's processed cold meats and… Read more »
Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi and Kenya have banned the import of processed meats from South Africa in order to protect their citizens from the disease ... Read more »